Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Giant Batch of Hatch

A lovely stack of hatch chilies


What they look like roasted and ready.


Yummmm...I'd love to go to their festival one day.

August in North Texas is almost unbearable. Know what helps you get through it? Hatch chili season. The season is coming to an end, sad I know. BUT at least my freezer is full of processed chilies. I couldn't be happier. I spent hours on Friday peeling roasted chilies. Saturday, Scott and I spent hours de-seeding, chopping, measuring and freezing chilies. I feel ready for the winter now. We've had hatch chili eggs, hatch salsa, hatch lime dip, quesadillas..if we've thought of it, we've made it. Some people in Hatch, New Mexico (wait...there's a NEW Mexico??) say they can tell if the chilies come from North or South of I-40. Oh to have been lucky enough to earn this skill!! Practice makes perfect, luck ducks. Today is the last day for roasted chilies at Central Market. I highly suggest to you all, go get yours now. Do it. Right now. Seriously. Go.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

man those look delicious. I have never made this :bagonhead, but totally am ready to try it!

Thanks for posting!!

Unknown said...

Looks fantastic.